Never Fails Scottish Tablet Recipe
This Scottish Tablet recipe never fails to produce mouth-watering results, ideal for those with a sweet tooth. This traditional and delicious treat is ideal for a quick sweet snack with coffee or a quick energy boost when you need it.
Tablet is a traditional Scottish sweet treat, a crumbly fudge with a hint of vanilla. Tablet differs from fudge in that it has a brittle, grainy texture, where fudge is much softer. The traditional recipe uses just sugar and cream, however, the cream has a tendency to burn when boiled, so this modern recipe substitutes condensed milk and butter for the cream.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Yield: Approx 35 chunks
- 900g caster sugar
- 125g unsalted butter
- 1 tin condensed sweetened milk (400ml)
- 150ml milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large deep pot place all ingredients except vanilla over medium heat until all melts, stirring frequently. Simmer for 40 minutes stirring now and again.
- Bring to boil, add vanilla, remove from the heat stirring all the time; be careful the mixture will be very hot.
- Mixture must reach 120oC in the last 5 minutes or it won't set properly. Use a jam thermometer to measure temperature.
- Electric whisk for a further 5 minutes; mixture will thicken.
- Spread mixture in a flat tray leave to cool for at least 1 hour. Cut into squares and enjoy.
Last updated on: Wednesday 14th June 2017